Sunday, January 3, 2010

Arrival in Quito

After two very short connections, I am finally here in Quito. Despite coming from a very long day and Tia Fanni´s funeral, everyone came to the airport to meet me except for Papi, Sandra´s Dad, who had to stay with baby Pedro since he was already asleep. It was such a joy to see my Ecuadorian family again.

It is amazing to be back. The airport has been completely renovated (thank god) and Quito has grown. The changes are small, yet large.

We are sleeping in the apartment in the back part of the patio of the house. It is perfect - we are part of the household but still have our space, which is so important.

The crappiest thing is that now I am lactose intolerant, and I can´t have my coffee with milk... :( Papi has heard of soy milk and thinks I might be able to find some in the city.... We´ll see!

It has been completely wonderful - to be in Quito, to be with the family. Pedro is an angel with chubby cheeks and a quick laugh. Sandra looks wonderful, as does everyone else. Though ten years have gone by, it doesn´t seem that anyone has aged, but maybe that is just the rose colored glasses through which we all see our loved ones.

I am so happy to be here and even happier that things are going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment