Friday, January 1, 2010

Some bad news.....

I just spoke with my parents. Yesterday evening Tia Fanni (Sandra's aunt), que descanse en paz, died suddenly of a stroke. Sandra and family received the news while at a pig roast and party at her cousin Pancho's house. The family has headed to Otavalo to be with Mami's other siblings and help with the funeral arrangements. I am saddened that the funeral will be held a few hours before I arrive in Ecuador.

Tia Fanni will be missed so deeply. She was a warm open fun-loving woman who always too care of those around her with a kindness anad generosity of spirit that touched all who knew her. When my uncle, Dicky, came to visit me in Ecuador in 2000, he adored Fanni, who showed us Oavalo and the market with such joy and pleasure. She loved being able to show us her home and her city.

I have yet to call Dicky. It will break his heart that he will not be able to attend her funeral. We will all miss her enormously. Hopefully the grief over her death will not dampen the joy and excitement of Sandra and Neil's Wedding and their son, Pedro's baptism on Saturday, January 9th. While all of us will miss her presence, she would not have wanted her death to affect the festivities.

No comments:

Post a Comment